We Still Think NJ the Best Place on Earth

27 Feb

1926 Denver

Denver, CO
June 18, 1926

From: Katherine (Gray) Pott, Hotel Auditorium
To: Ruth (Barrell) Gray, 249 Boulevard, Summit, NJ

Dearest Mama:

This is the first chance I’ve had so far to write but I’ve been thinking of you all and
wanting to tell you all about every thing. The trip so far is a great success. These people of
Denver certainly are hospitable and know how to entertain. Our time is mostly planned for
us, and one could easily spend a month right here and not see all there is to see of the
surrounding country at that. However, we have seen some of it, trying to pick out the most

I liked my first Pullman train experience very much, although it was good to get out
and get cleaned up here. It surely is a dirty life. We had very uncomfortably hot weather
through Missouri & Kansas. Saturday night we stopped at St Louis for dinner and then
danced on the roof garden of the Chase Hotel. I decided it was too late in the evening to
see Uncle Bob, especially as it was necessary for us to stay more or less together. A nice
windy thunderstorm blew over just as we were finishing dinner on the roof, and the air was
full of napkins and all the dishes and silver blew off the tables. Quite exciting! The St Louis
club received us at the station and entertained us all evening.

Sunday morning we arrived in Kansas City for breakfast and were then taken on a
tour throughout the city in Taxis. The residential sections are perfectly beautiful. We left
about 11 o’clock and Pete Emmons, the Trenton minister, and an Episcopal clergyman,
conducted a short church service which the whole crowd attended, packed in the
observation car. There are 105 of us altogether and we are just like a big family. Everyone
knows everyone else by this time. They had all sorts of schemes planned to mix up the
crowd on the train. 

We arrived in Denver on scheduled time, and then the rush began. We were lucky
in good hotel accommodation but some were impossible and had to be changed. We all
had to register and get our badges then. Alan and I took a walk around the town. Monday
night they had the most wonderful pageant I’ve ever seen in the Denver University
Stadium. I couldn’t begin to tell you about it now. About a thousand of the Denver school
children took part, besides a lot of real Indians and soldiers. The most wonderful thing was
a musical drill by cavalry mounted on beautiful black horses with white strappings. They
were the most graceful horses I’ve ever seen; they really danced in step to the music. The
lighting effects of the whole affair were beyond description.

Tuesday afternoon we had a hectic drive to Colorado Springs, 75 miles from here.
We hired 70 driverless cars for our N J crowd. I was the only girl that drove but I thought it
was lots more fun and I saw just as much of the scenery as anyone did, and didn’t get lost
like some of the more timid drivers. I’ve told you a lot about the trip on several of the postal
cards, so I won’t go into detail here. We didn’t get back here until 3 A M but we wouldn’t
have missed it for anything.

We met a young Denver business man at lunch on Tuesday who insisted on taking
us for a drive in his car with himself and wife. So Wednesday evening after dinner they
called for us in their Pierce Arrow and we had one of the most beautiful rides ever. They
took us up to Lookout Mountain in the Rocky foothills above Denver from where in clear
weather you can see hundreds of miles across the plains into Kansas. On the way up the
floor board caught on fire, which caused us a little excitement. Will tell you more of it when
we get home. Our host and hostess were a very nice young couple, native of Seattle,
Washington, with whom we would like to keep in touch.

After our ride Wednesday night we went to the President’s ball and danced till
almost 1 o’clock.

We didn’t have breakfast Thursday, but got up in time for early lunch. In the
afternoon I saw my first wild west show, and I only wished I had Joe and Charlie with me. I
shall tell them all about cowboys, wild horses and steers, and Indians when I get home. It
had the circus beat a mile. We were too tired to even eat dinner last night so we went to
bed about 6:30 and both feel fine today. We’ve both been very well considering all the
changes in out daily routine, but I know I averted a sick spell by giving my stomach a rest
last night. It is very easy to overeat on a trip like this.

Alan has spent all his mornings at the convention and in the afternoons when

We leave this evening for Yellowstone Park and then home which we will be glad to
see. We still think N J the best place on earth and wouldn’t give it up for anything we’ve
seen so far.

We thought of you on your trip through Mass and Conn and hoped Ethel was with
you. We will be home in 10 days and can tell you heaps more about every thing.
In the meantime give my love to all from Papa to Donnie with just a little more for
Mama and Papa. Alan sends love too.


Leave a comment

Posted by on February 27, 2014 in Family History


Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: