That Family Has Sure Had Its Troubles with the Appendix

19 Feb

1925 hunt

Brooklyn, NY
March 4, 1926

From: William A Gray, jr, 55 Hanson Place, Brooklyn, NY1
To: Ruth (Barrell) Gray, P O Box #21, Oklawaha, FL

Dear Mama:

Your letter arrived some time Monday and I found it in the box in the evening. March
started here with a balmy springlike day, clear blue sky and white clouds. Since Monday,
however, the weather has turned colder and more windy. Temperature in New York today
ranged from 22 degrees at 8 A M to 29 at 1 P M so I guess Florida is a good place to stay
for awhile yet.

The week end of Feb 20 – 22, including Washington’s Birthday, I was out in Summit
with Katherine and Alan. Summit had just about dug itself out of two feet of snow, and the
warm sun of several clear afternoons had helped to clear the roads. Sunday, breakfast at
nine, (so far this seems to be a very well regulated household), then after breakfast dishes
are washed, all hands to church. After dinner, I paid my second visit to 249, walking down
with Edward. I believe Edward goes down quite often. After being greeted by the two cats
who appear to be hale and hearty, we went in via the back door. I got some neckties I
wanted and a few other articles and then we rode back with Alan and Katherine who were
waiting for us.

Monday morning Alan and I amused ourselves sawing wood for the fireplace and
chopping kindling. Katherine and I had lunch alone as Alan was at the Rotary. In the
afternoon, a ride in the new Studebaker was planned. Alan wants to get it broken in as
quickly as possible so he won’t have to keep the speed down. The job of deciding the
route to be taken was left to me by the driver, so I sat on the rear seat and gave directions
at the turns. We started at two o’clock. It was a clear day, with the temperature just above
freezing. Most of the snow from the two recent blizzards was still on the ground, but I was
figuring on all the main roads being open. We took the usual roads north through West
Caldwell and Two Bridges to the Pompton Turnpike, up through Pompton Plains to the
Hamburg Turnpike, and then left, thru Butler and New Foundland, and down, thru the hills
to Franklin Furnace. Here we turned left on the road thru Ogdensburg to Sparta. The road
was ploughed thru drifts so high we could not see over them in some places. It was the
first time any of us had seen these hills under a heavy blanket of snow. (Incidentally while
writing this I am listening to one of the finest orchestras I have ever heard on the radio. 

They call themselves the Anglo-Persians and are sponsored by some big importer of
oriental rugs, on WEAF, 10 – 10:30 on Friday. You will hear them on the new radio when
you get home. They have just played the Gypsy Love Song, and Loves Old Sweet Song,
and a couple of operatic numbers.) Now to get back to the trip, we took the brand-new
concrete road over the mountain to Lake Hopatcong from Sparta and found it ploughed
clean. The little Studebaker pulls strong on the hills and rides easily. It was getting dark as
we passed thru Dover, and we reached Summit at about 6:30, covering about 85 miles. It
was quite a ride, considering the season and a good test for the new car. Then after a
good dinner, I said good bye to Summit again and came back to Brooklyn.

During the week, I received a letter from Katherine, saying it would not be
convenient to have me that week end as she was expecting some people for dinner on
Sunday, but that she would look for me the following Saturday (tomorrow). The next day,
however, I received a phone call from Oren Hunt, inviting me out to Glen Ridge over
Sunday, which I accepted. I found the Hunts all well, and heard about Richard’s operation
from Aunt Dolly. That family has sure had its troubles with the appendix. I had my suitcase
radio with me and it proved a popular source of entertainment connected with their
phonograph. By the way, Oren’s engagement has been formally announced. Before I left,
Aunt Dolly told me I was welcome out there any time I hadn’t made plans to spend Sunday

Tuesday evening, I got a package from 55 Tulip St. It contains some kind of crisp
chocolate cake filled with nuts. This didn’t last 48 hours. Two days later another package
of candy arrived from Mt Holyoke. So you see I am being treated pretty well by my sisters
and aunts.

I am sending a trainload of love via Seaboard Air Line to all of you with several
carloads for yourself.


(P. S. Glad you have the Chev, much better than walking.)

Leave a comment

Posted by on February 19, 2014 in Family History


Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: